A larger down payment . . .
- 20% or more down eliminates the need for mortgage insurance – a savings up to 4% of the purchase price
- Reduces the amount of your monthly principal and interest payment
- Reduces the total amount of interest you pay over the life of your mortgage
Three alterntive financing options are available
Norfolk Home Ownership Program
- Provides down payment assistance to first time homeowners who are qualified low-to-moderate income households wishing to purchase a home. Funding is provided in the form of a 20-year interest free loan registered on title and up to 10% of the purchase price of the home. Funding is provided in the form of a 20-year interest free loan registered on title and up to 10% of the purchase price of the home.
RSP Home Buyers’ Plan
- The RSP Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) lets a first-time buyer withdraw up to $35,000 from RSPs for a home purchase. The withdrawn amount must be repaid within 15 years, subject to a minimum annual repayment that is 1/15 of the amount withdrawn.
Federal Shared Equity Fund
The incentive is available to first-time homebuyers with qualified annual incomes of $120,000 or less. A participant’s insured mortgage and the incentive amount cannot be greater than four times the participant’s qualified annual income.
- 5% or 10% for a first-time buyer’s purchase of a newly constructed home
- 5% for a first-time buyer’s purchase of a resale (existing) home
- 5% for a first-time buyer’s purchase of a new or resale mobile/manufactured home
CMHC, Genworth Financial, or similar companies insure mortgages up to 95% of the lending value of the house. Eligible borrowers include anyone who buys a home in Canada intending to occupy it as their principal residence. Buyers who insure a mortgage loan with CMHC or Genworth pay a premium. The premium is based on the down payment and loan amount.
Ask us how you can receive a free down payment
A higher down payment means a lower monthly payment
Interest savings over time can be significant – talk with your mortgage broker about the best option for you
More equity means a stronger financial position now and in the future